A couple of months ago, I was asked if I wanted to do a review of some of the new Christmas goodies from the lovely people over at Hotel Chocolat. I thought about it a bit, and asked if I could do more than just a standard product review, as SarahBakes is primarily a baking blog! Fortunately for me, the answer was yes – I gave them some suggestions as to what they could send me, and awaited my parcel and its mystery contents before deciding on what to bake! I did however know that whatever I was going to bake, it was going to be Gluten Free, as nearly 200 products from Hotel Chocolat are listed as Gluten Free (they cannot guarantee that they are free from traces of gluten as they are made in an environment where wheat is present).
In the parcel was a pack of White Chocolate Tiddly Santas and a pack of Dark ChocolateTiddly Reindeer, both of which retail for £5.50 for a pack of 8. The Reindeer have a nice snap to them, aren’t bitter tasting like some dark chocolate, and Santas proved to be a huge hit with both of the small boys that tried them!
I supplemented my mystery parcel, by purchasing some 40% Milk Chocolate Drops, White Chocolate Drops, and Organic Cocoa Powder and given the youthful nature of my mystery parcel, came up with this recipe for Gluten Free Chocolate Christmas Cupcakes, suitable for both younger and older people alike! If you hadn’t been told that these cakes were baked gluten free, you wouldn’t know it, as they do not have the dry, grainy texture that some gluten free bakes can have sometimes.
I have to say that the cocoa powder has a wonderfully intense flavour, much more so than the usual cocoa powders that are on offer in the supermarkets, so you don’t need to use as much in your recipes. The chocolate drops are very moreish – I had to stop my son from dipping his hand into the packets, they are so tasty!
- 150g Softened Unsalted Butter
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150g Doves Farm Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 3 tbsp Hotel Chocolat Organic Cocoa Powder
- 8 tbsp Milk
For the buttercream icing
- 200g Softened Butter
- 450g Icing Sugar
- 4tbsp Milk
- 100g melted and cooled White Chocolate Drops
- 100g melted and cooled Milk Chocolate Drops
- 6 Tiddly Santas
- 6 Tiddly Reindeer
Cream together the softened butter, icing sugar and milk until light and fluffy.
Split the buttercream between each of the bowls containing the melted chocolate, and mix to combine thoroughtly.
Spread the buttercream icings on top of your cupcakes, and place either a Santa or Reindeer on top to finish!
Giveaway! – This giveaway has now closed. Winner to be announced shortly!
The winner is Sarah Morris – chosen using names on folded paper, mixed up in a hat, by my 3yr old!
Now for the part everyone is waiting for: Hotel Chocolat are offering a pack of 8 Tiddly Santa or 8 Tiddly Reindeer Chocolates to one lucky follower of my blog.
Here’s how you can enter:
- Visit the Hotel Chocolat Stocking Filler page and leave a comment below telling me which product you would like to find in your stocking on Christmas Day.
- For an extra entry follow Hotel Chocolat on Facebook and leave a comment letting me know. (if you already follow them then leave a comment telling me)
- For an extra entry follow Hotel Chocolat on Twitter and leave a comment letting me know. (include your twitter name – if you already follow them then leave a comment telling me)
- For an extra entry follow @sarahbakes_uk on Twitter and leave a comment letting me know (include your twitter name – if you already follow me then leave a comment telling me).
- Finally…Tweet the following “I have entered @sarahbakes_uk ’s giveaway to win some Tiddly Chocolates from @HotelChocolat http://sarahbakes.co.uk/?p=2005 ” and once again, comment here that you have (including your twitter name)
Please note that if this is the first time you have commented, it may take a while for your comments to appear!
This competition is only open to UK residents.